The Beginner’s Guide to Working in the United States

Working in the United States is a dream for millions of people across the globe. With attractive pay scales and incentives to write home about, getting a job or setting up one’s business in the United States has become the Holy Grail for countless immigrants.

The only problem for most people is getting a visa that allows them to enter and legally work in the country.

With that said, even though the majority of immigrants interested in working in the United States are intimidated by the process of obtaining a work visa, the fact remains that getting the green pass into the country isn’t too difficult as long as you’ve got your paperwork in order. Additionally, with multiple different types of work visas available, it goes without saying that you can almost certainly find a way to get into the country through the legal route and enjoy higher standards of living.

Interested in learning more about how you can obtain a work visa for the United States? Read on to find out as we tell you everything you need to know about the application process and most popular types of work visas.

Most Popular Types of Visas for Working in the United States

With more than 10 different types of visas for laborers, skilled workers, and business owners, it’s really no surprise that the United States is known as the land of opportunities. Recognizing and understanding the importance of all kinds of talent, the United States immigration system caters to varying needs of employers and workers to ensure that everyone gets just what they are looking for.

H-1B Visa

The H-1B visa is by far the most popular option when it comes to skilled foreign workers. Given primarily to workers in computing and engineering (or related fields), an annual cap of 85000 petitions has been applied to the H-1B visa due to its immense popularity among skilled workers across the globe.

It is also important to note that 20000 of the 85000 available H-1B visas are granted to applicants with a master’s degree in an attempt to recognize the efforts of highly educated individuals.

L-1 Visa

This is a special visa type catering to employers who wish to transfer foreign employees with specialized knowledge or skills to the United States. When applying for an L-1 visa, it is the responsibility of the employer to establish a relationship between the United States entity and the foreign entity.

TN Visa

The TN visa is another special visa category dedicated to citizens of Mexico and Canada interested in working in the United States. Engineers, accountants, lawyers, and a few other types of specialized workers are eligible to apply for the TN visa type.

Once you have gone through the list of different types of work visas and applied for the category that best suits your requirements, it is important for you to obtain an Employment Authorization Document to prove that you have been given permission to work in the United States.

Now that you know what you must do to obtain a visa, we recommend that you start getting your paperwork in order and start packing to move to the United States.